Our children at Redeemer Presbyterian Church in Charleston, SC, are working hard to learn their Catechism questions, and we want to help equip parents to reinforce these important truths at home. This upcoming Sunday, March 1 will be a Recitation Week for both classes. The preschoolers will recite answers to Catechism questions 16-22, and the elementary kids will recite answers to questions 58-72. The children will celebrate their accomplishments during the Christian-Ed. hour with a small snack. Below is a recap of what each class learned this past Sunday, February 22.
The lesson this past Sunday, February 22 focused on life in the Garden of Eden before sin entered the world. Both Adam and Eve enjoyed perfect communion with the Lord, with each other, and all of creation. However, just as Adam and Eve fell into sin and became unholy and unhappy, the children learned they, too, cannot be perfectly happy because our hearts are sinful and we live in a sinful world. But we can trust in God’s promise of a new heaven and a new earth one day that will be free of sin (II Peter 3:13). The preschoolers learned their last question and answer for this section:
22. In what condition did God make Adam and Eve? He made them holy and happy.
The older children learned this past Sunday, February 22 about Christ’s fulfillment of the offices of priest and king. They first discussed how the Israelites needed a priest to speak on their behalf. They also learned how an animal was sacrificed–not because the animal could pay the penalty of sin, but the sacrifice reminded the people that someone had to die to pay the penalty. Finally, the children studied that Jesus was the last priest. Christ was the priest who offered the perfect sacrifice to God when he sacrificed himself. “But when this priest had offered for all time one sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God.” Hebrews 10:12 Their last questions and answers for this section are below:
68. How many offices does Christ fulfill as the promised Messiah? Christ fulfills three offices.
69. What are they? The offices of a prophet, of a priest, and of a king.
70. How is Christ your prophet? Christ teaches me the will of God.
71. How is Christ your priest? Christ died for my sins, and continues to pray for me.
72. How is Christ your king? Christ rules over me, the world and Satan, and he defends me.