Thank you to everyone who donated to the uniform drive that Redeemer Kids sponsored for Lowcountry Orphan Relief. At Redeemer Presbyterian Church in Charleston, SC, we collected over 25 uniforms and $800, which was used to buy additional uniforms. Thank you for your donations!
The Children’s Christmas Celebration last Sunday, December 10 focused on the true meaning of Christmas: Jesus. Often times we find ourselves focusing on Christmas trees, decorations, presents, shopping, etc, which are exciting but not where our hearts should stay. Maybe God uses all this to help us get excited about Jesus’ birth. During the Celebration, several families reminded us of ways we can share the true meaning of Christmas with others. As a tangible way to do this, Redeemer Kids are organizing a food drive for families in need. Please bring in nonperishable food items that would contribute to a Christmas meal. Suggested items are canned fruits, canned vegetables, cornbread mix, rice, beans, canned soups or broths, cake mixes, and gift cards for a ham or turkey, etc. If you are interested in helping with this food drive, contact Ashley Lowry. We’ll collect food items through this Sunday, December 17.
At Redeemer Presbyterian Church in Charleston, SC, our Redeemer family put together 98 boxes–and counting!–for Operation Christmas Child! Huge thanks to Vince & Wendy Dammai for heading up the collection and delivery. Thank you to everyone in our church family for giving items, packing boxes, and donating money to help bring smiles to children’s faces around the world and empower missionaries around the world to share the gospel.
Through the leadership of our community groups, we offer several women’s Bible studies in neighborhoods around the Charleston area. These Bible studies are open to all and an outreach effort to Redeemer women, friends, and neighbors. Here’s a list of our current studies beginning in September:
- Carolina Bay Women’s Bible Study | Thursdays, 9:30-11:30 am at 2085 Gammon St., 29414 – This semester we’ll be focusing on women’s topics like faith, making disciples and living a holy life as a Christian woman today. We will study some women in the Bible to see how these issues played a role in their lives and how we can learn from their experiences. Our primary scripture will be Colossians 3. It’s a rich chapter full of wonderful insights into these topics that affect us all every day. We begin Thursday, September 7; childcare will be provided. Contact Frankie Bennett for more information.
- Mt. Pleasant Women’s Bible Study | Fridays, 9:30 am at 720 Kent St., 29464 – This semester we’ll study Galatians. We begin Friday, September 8. Contact Liz Jarvis for more information.
- Hanahan Women’s Bible Study | Thursdays, 10:30 am at 1410 Gemstone Blvd., 29410 – This semester we’ll study Galatians. We begin Thursday, September 7; childcare will be provided. Contact Gray Morgan for more information.
- Ladson Women’s Bible Study | Tuesdays, 10:30 am at 113 Tamarack Ct., 29456 – This semester we’ll study Galatians. We begin Tuesday, September 26. Contact Amber Lane for more information.
Join the ladies of Redeemer as we study God’s Word!
Being close to the Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC), we attract many students, residents, fellows, and their families to Redeemer Presbyterian Church in Charleston, SC. We help encourage this local chapter of Side By Side, a ministry of Christian Medical & Dental Association (CMDA). Here’s what several women at Redeemer are saying about their experience with Side By Side:
I’m a member of Side by Side, a ministry specifically for medical and dental wives, including students, residents, fellows, and practicing physicians and dentists. Our basic goal is to encourage, support, and minister to women in medical marriages while helping them deal with the unique demands placed upon them and their families. Our local chapter meets weekly and spends time in fellowship, Bible study, and prayer at various homes in the Charleston area. Being in the medical field, our spouses often work long hours, and the time we do get to spend with them, they are often stressed and exhausted. Having a group of women who understand your life and can point you to Jesus during those difficult seasons is invaluable, and it has been for me this year. –Alyse
We have 30 involved women in our group, but usually around 12-15 people at any given meeting (fall is fuller, spring is less so). We are saying goodbye to 6 of our friends this year, which is always hard! We did a study through James this spring and it was really awesome. We also did a “how to” social where we learned how to do hand lettering from a professional. It was really fun and we plan to do more of those “how to” things this year. God is good and he is continuing to bless our group in many ways! –Emma
If you’d like to join this chapter or know a medical or dental wife who would benefit from this group, reach out to the local Charleston chapter of Side By Side.
We have many reasons to be thankful today and every day–including a previously deaf three-year-old who can now hear! Many in our Redeemer family have had the privilege to help host Carla and Diana from Bolivia while Diana receives medical treatment at MUSC. Read more here about this amazing story.
The Carolina Bay Women’s Bible Study Group in West Ashley is sponsoring a community outreach, and they’re inviting everyone to participate in Operation Christmas Child. Help in any way you can:
- Pack a shoebox! Visit Operation Christmas Child to learn how, and this missionary’s blog post has great suggestions, too. Then print a $7 label for shipping, and give your shoebox to Frankie Bennett or Wendy Dammai by Sunday,November 8.
- Donate $20 to the group, and they’ll do the work for you.
- Come to the shoebox-packing party on Saturday,November 7. The group will be hosting a Family Pizza Party from 10 am – noon in Carolina Bay (1818 Hockley Blvd, 29414). Families will gather with supplies and shoeboxes, so our children can pack, wrap, make cards, and pray over the shoeboxes. Contact Wendy Dammai at 843-697-9947 if your family plans to attend.
Through your simple gift we can share the love of Jesus to children across the world!
Last week Redeemer Presbyterian Church in Charleston, SC, partnered with the International Programs at MUSC to welcome back the international students to begin the fall semester. We’ve loved serving food and providing homemade desserts for these luncheons and other special events for internationals through the years. What a joy it is to welcome the sojourner within our city!