This week the preschoolers wrapped up their review of the Catechism questions. They discussed the promise God made with Adam called the covenant of life, in which God promised to give Adam life if he obeyed God. Adam was made in God’s image, and when he sinned and disobeyed God, the image or reflection of God in Adam became marred and broken (like a broken mirror), and he broke the covenant of life (just as we all do when we sin). The good news is that God sent Jesus to cover our sins and fix our brokenness so that we can still have eternal life if we follow Jesus!
23. What covenant did God make with Adam? The covenant of life.
24. What is a covenant? A relationship that God establishes with us and guarantees by his word.
25. In the covenant of life, what did God require Adam to do? To obey God perfectly.
26. What did God promise in the covenant of life? To reward Adam with life if he obeyed God perfectly.
27. What did God threaten in the covenant of life? To punish Adam with death if he disobeyed God.
28. Did Adam keep the covenant of life? No. He sinned against God.
The kids also reviewed all of Psalm 100:
Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth.
Worship the Lord with gladness;
come before him with joyful songs.
Know that the Lord is God.
It is he who made us, and we are his;
we are his people, the sheep of his pasture.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving
and his courts with praise;
give thanks to him and praise his name.
For the Lord is good and his love endures forever;
his faithfulness continues through all generations.
The elementary students wrapped up their study of the Catechism with questions 144-150 about what happens after life on earth. They learned that the souls of unbelievers will be separated from God forever in a terrible place called hell. They also learned the best news of all–that the souls of believers will live forever with Jesus in Heaven, where they will be holy and happy again and will no longer experience any sadness, pain, or death!
144. What happens to believers when they die? Our bodies will return to the dust, and our souls will go to be with the Lord forever.
145. What happens to unbelievers when they die? Their bodies will return to dust also, but their souls will go to hell.
146. What is hell? Hell is an awful place, where unbelievers are separated from God to suffer for their sins.
147. Will the bodies of all the dead be raised again? Yes. At the last day some will be raised to everlasting life and others to everlasting death.
148. What will God do to unbelievers at the last day? He will judge them, and condemn them to everlasting punishment in the lake of fire with Satan and his angels.
149. What will God do for believers at the last day? He will give them a home with him in the new heaven and the new earth.
150. What will the new heaven and the new earth be like? A glorious and happy place, where the saved will be with Jesus forever.