Here is a little update about the construction happening on the Resource Center in Uganda! We have an amazing “ground team” in Sheema working tirelessly to complete the building. They expect all walls to be at the roof level by Saturday. Roofing, plastering, and electrical work will come next!
Do you have your ticket to Uganda? Check in here for the flight! The missions committee at Redeemer Presbyterian Church in Charleston, SC, created a unique experience for our congregation during the Christian-education hour as part of Missions Sunday last week.
Here’s an abbreviated backstory describing Redeemer’s heart for Uganda:
In 2006, Dr. Jimmy and Christine Alele, Ugandan members of Redeemer Presbyterian Church in Charleston, SC, led a team of 15 from Redeemer on our first trip to bring Entrust training to pastors and church leaders in the Lira area of Uganda and to do evangelistic outreach in local schools.
During that trip, the Lord knit our hearts with the people of Uganda and showed us how we could use the gifts He has given us to strengthen and encourage each other. Over the past 12 years, Redeemer has taken three large group trips and four trips with teams of two or three.
Because of its location and current government, Uganda is a key country for reaching Africa as well as other nations of the world. We are humbled that the Lord has connected us with the highest government and church officials in this strategic country—a fact which has amazed missionaries who have labored there for many years.
These Ugandan leaders invited us to help them build a Resource Center to contain rooms for training and storage for valuable study aids to equip local Christians. Work on the Resource Center will begin soon, and we are excited about opportunities for churches to visit and potential capabilities for remote training! The time is now to walk through this door the Lord has opened for us to advance His kingdom in Uganda and beyond! Please join our Ugandan brothers and sisters in prayer as construction begins! Redeemer’s team of representatives will travel to Uganda in April for a dedication ceremony.
Our four-person team in Uganda this week attended the ground-breaking ceremony of the resource center, so we staged our own ground-breaking photo-op with members of our missions committee and some of our elders.
As we provide updates, the Redeemer missions committee and Session want to urge you to be praying–and helping, giving, asking, and preparing–as we near the building stages of a pastoral and community resource center on Ankole Western University’s campus. We need your support, prayers, and involvement as we continue this work!
We are thankful to the Lord for:
- Redeemer’s 12-year journey with Uganda affording us meaningful relationships and trust largely because of and through the Alele family
- Christine Alele’s continued involvement helping us communicate and navigate within the Ugandan culture!
- God’s guidance throughout the arduous task of cross-cultural communication
- Total agreement and unified vision of the Session and missions committee members at each phase and step of this project!
- His provision of free prime land in Uganda and funds in Redeemer’s missions budget to build
- Our very own architect, Laura Slagel, who has graciously volunteered her expertise to taking the vision floating around in our heads and getting it down on paper!
- Nineteen crates FULL of excellent pastoral study resources donated by Bob Holmes that are ready to line the shelves before the building is even built!
PRAY FOR THIS MONTH
Pray for us as we work diligently together with the Session in developing an effective memorandum of understanding (MOU), signed by both parties as to the ongoing use and functional responsibilities both during and after the resource center is built.
Redeemer’s precious connection with the people of Uganda continues to deepen as we partner with Ankole Western University (AWU) to build a community and pastoral resource center on their campus in the Sheema district of Uganda. Please join us in praying for the Christian leaders in the community and for more leaders to be raised up as we move closer to breaking ground!
At our Missions Prayer Breakfast a few weeks ago, the missions committee gave a brief update about our work in Uganda, and we want to bring the congregation in on the good work the Lord is doing!
Our missions committee has been hard at work praying and planning for a construction project to begin in Uganda in partnership with a local university, Ankole Western University (AWU). We are finalizing building plans for a modest pastoral and community resource center on AWU’s campus, and we need your support, prayers, and involvement as we continue this work.
We are thankful to the Lord for:
- Redeemer’s long-standing connection to Uganda through the Alele family and for Christine’s continued involvement helping us communicate and navigate within the Ugandan culture.
- His guidance over each step of this process. We have wonderful relationships with several key players in Uganda which have stemmed directly from Kathy’s visit last summer.
- His provision of land in Uganda and funds in Redeemer’s budget to make this construction project get off the ground immediately.
- Our very own architect, Laura Slagel, who has graciously volunteered her expertise.
- A growing church and growing missions team who seek the Lord’s direction and have a heart for the people of Uganda.
We need your prayers and your advice as we continue to navigate cross-cultural dialogue and as we seek the Lord’s plans for our continued presence in Uganda.