At Redeemer Presbyterian Church in Charleston, SC, we seek to build strong families, and we use our Equip Hour that follows our worship service to pour into the lives of our children. As the family of God, we have been entrusted with the high call to pass on our faith to the next generation:
Be careful and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them. These commandments I give today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk down the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Deuteronomy 4:9; 6:6-7
We at Redeemer take this calling seriously and desire to come alongside you as parents in the training up of your children by providing an age-appropriate journey through The Gospel Project. We will use this curriculum for infants, toddlers, preschool, and elementary school children.
The Story Keepers
Our children will learn how to be keepers of the story of God by encouraging them to:
- Know the story (content) by listening to and connecting it to the larger story, by memorizing scripture, and by participating in activities that demonstrate those truths.
- Keep the story (application, evaluation) by hiding the truths of the story in their hearts through memorizing scripture, applying a truth or truths to situations in their lives through questions and discussion, and appropriating what they have learned through prayer (asking for God’s help).
- Obey the story (synthesis) by seeking to follow the truths learned, telling them to others with actions in addition to words, and ultimately applying truths learned to other contexts.
For Parents: We thank you in advance for your children’s attendance! You’re welcome to dismiss your children during the last verse of the final song during the worship service, so the children can easily and quickly check in at the welcome desk and walk to their class. Pray faithfully for the teachers, volunteers, families, and children of Redeemer!
- We encourage every family to purchase The Jesus Story Book Bible by Sally Lloyd Jones, which will help families tell the story during the week at home. We can provide assistance with this purchase if needed.
- We also encourage parents to read Heirs of the Covenant by Susan Hunt, which is available in the Redeemer Library in the Education building. This book shares the philosophy behind our vision for our Equip Hour: parents teaching their children at home and our whole church family reading and learning the Scriptures during the Equip Hour.
For more information about our Redeemer Kids program, contact our Children’s Ministry coordinator Courtney Jeffrey.