Redeemer Presbyterian Church in Charleston, SC, ministers to its women primarily through community groups. In the fall of 2012, we simplified and restructured some ministries, folding women’s ministries into the community group ministry to better align with Redeemer’s mission and vision.
Redeemer’s community group ministry is modeled after Acts 2:42-47, which depicts the church in community where they were living life together: devoting themselves to the Apostles’ teaching and fellowship, having communion together and praying for one another.
Below are some specific elements within the community group ministry that are designed to support Redeemer’s women:
- Women’s Facilitator: This point-of-contact for each community group leads monthly prayer fellowships, cultivates relationships of women within, and connects women to other members of Redeemer.
- Compassion: Each community group provides for the needs of those families who both attend and live in their area of the city, usually taking meals to families (after welcoming a baby, enduring surgery, etc.) and hosting bridal and baby showers of blessings for its members.
- Fellowship Events: To foster fellowship among women of different community groups, we host events that include all women from Redeemer. Check the Blog for upcoming women’s events!
- Teaching Women: Each community group is encouraged to develop its own women’s neighborhood Bible study. Women-specific Bible studies are not meant to supplant community group, but to serve as one more vehicle for discipleship of believers and to provide a welcoming outreach to non-believing neighbors and friends. Within the structure of community groups, Redeemer’s women have support in both spiritual and practical ways (e.g. praying for the facilitator as she prepares and leads, praying for those who attend, offering to babysit when needed, etc.). Check this list for fall 2019 for current women’s Bible studies meeting around Charleston, or reach out to the contact person for the community group in your area.
- Support: Our Session supports and oversees community groups. Patty and Debbie, two seminary-trained women, are available to help, teach, and support the women of Redeemer, including praying for you and your ministries!
We’re also thrilled to be part of our newly formed Lowcountry Presbytery, which offers lots of help to our women at Redeemer through the presbytery’s women’s ministry. Lowcountry Presbytery Women are also on Facebook here!